Today I’ve put together some healthy and detoxifying snack options that will boost your metabolism and keep you on track while you’re detoxing throughout the week.
When you get hungry in between meals, go to this list of my favorite snacks and drinks that will continue to cleanse your body all day long…
- Asparagus: Cooking up this veggie is a delicious and healthy snack, not just because it detoxifies the liver, but also because it helps your body to flush out all impurities. I love asparagus grilled or steamed, and eating it raw will help reduce bloating in your belly too!
- Apples: This fruit is filling, satisfying and it can help suppress unhealthy cravings. If a sneaky sugar craving creeps up when you’re detoxing, grab an apple. Green apples are especially good for decreasing appetite.
- Green Smoothie: While a large smoothie can be so filling that it becomes an entire meal (think breakfast), a smaller size smoothie is the perfect mid-meal snack. Blend up a smoothie that is about 1-½ cups, and be sure to include a leafy green like spinach or kale, chia seeds, lemon, and apple or pineapple. And…voila! You have yourself a glass of detox goodness. To see one of my favorite recipes,click here.
- Homemade Trail Mix: A lot of trail mixes have sugary sweets like candy or chocolate included in the mix, making them less healthy option. But a homemade version could be just the kind of healthy snack that keeps your body energized. I recommend mixing pistachios, almonds, dried cranberries, and hemp seeds, which are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, protein, zinc, iron, potassium, and calcium. I also like to add dried goji berries, which are powerful antioxidants that are rich in Vitamin A.
- Watermelon: Health experts claim that watermelon helps your liver and kidneys flush out impurities. Watermelon tea can do the trick too!
- Pineapple: Pineapples are known for their abilities to cleanse the pores in your lungs and reduce stomach fat. Eat a few chunks of this sweet fruit on an empty stomach to reap the benefits of its powerful enzymes.
- Chia Fresca: This drink from Oh She Glows is supposed to aid in detoxification in the body…especially the morning after a fun night out. Simply soak half a tablespoon of chia seeds in a glass of water for 10 minutes, then add a squirt of lime. Refreshing.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit also helps to curb hunger, but it doesn’t stop there. This citrus fruit boosts your metabolism and packs in a ton of vitamin C, good for fighting off colds and giving your skin a glow.
- Celery: Celery is a great source of fiber, which means it can help move food through your digestive tract (World’s Healthiest Foods). Grab a few celery sticks and peanut butter for a heart-healthy snack that will leave you full and satisfied.
- Avocados: Aside from lowering cholesterol, avocados contain a nutrient called glutathione, which blocks at least 30 different carcinogens while helping the liver detoxify synthetic chemicals (Care2). Add some of this green goodness to your smoothies or salads.
Now that you have ten good detox snack options, there are also some good detox drinks you can sip on all day long. If you remember mySip This post, you might recall me saying that lemon water hydrates and energizes you, stimulates your liver, aids detoxification, and maximizes enzyme function. I recommend drinking a big glass of lemon water each morning before you make your smoothie.
Also, if you’re a coffee lover, green tea is a great caffeine substitute that is much healthier for your body. It has a special compound in it that bumps up your metabolic rate and it helps your liver to eliminate toxins. It may even help prevent heart disease and certain cancers too! I drink a cup of green tea almost every day for a quick and easy detox boost.
These snacks are healthy, light options to eat in between meals throughout the day. If you have any detox snacks to add, feel free to leave them in the comments below! And be sure to check out my 3 Detox Approved Recipes as well.