Laser hair removal is an effective procedure to permanently reduce and potentially eliminate unwanted underarm hair and for other common areas such as the face, back, and legs. Before you begin, it is important to have a consultation with an experienced doctor or dermatologist to discuss what to expect, potential side effects, and if you are a qualified candidate for the procedure.
Becoming a candidate for laser removal is your first step. Since the laser’s light targets melanin, the darker pigment found in the hair, candidates are reviewed for hair color, skin tone, and hair characteristics. This light is converted to heat, which damages the hair follicles to impede or delay new hair growth.
- Don’t tan or use tanning creams for a month before your appointment. You want to avoid darkening your skin’s pigmentation, so the laser focuses only on the hair follicle.
- Shave the day before to give your skin time to relax, especially if you experience razor burn or rashes when shaving. You will also need to refrain from waxing or plucking hairs as these hair removal techniques will decrease the effectiveness of the laser.
- Avoid creams, lotions, and deodorants before your appointment. The laser technician may apply an anesthetic cream before treatment.
- If your doctor prescribed medicine to take before treatment, take it according to the directions.
- Wear clothes that are loose fitting or something that exposes the area, so the material does not irritate the skin after a treatment.
- If you are generally a nervous person, omit caffeine from your diet at least 24 hours before treatment.
Underarm laser removal sessions are not long, but it will require several sessions to complete treatment. The number of sessions required to achieve your desired results varies from person to person, but several treatments over 2 to 3 months are effective for most people. Follow the same protocol to prepare for each office visit to increase the success of the procedure.
Professional laser hair removal can help you achieve the freedom to dress for any occasion without having to worry about unsightly hair, razor burn, ingrown hairs, or cysts. It is a safe and effective procedure that is surprisingly gentle on sensitive skin areas.
Ready to Say Goodbye to Shaving?
Laser hair removal can last a long time, depending on the area of the body and your skin tone color. The hair may grow back, but it will be lighter and less noticeable. If you are seeking permanent hair loss options, contact Newport Beach MedSpa to schedule a consultation! We offer laser hair removal for underarms and more!